FordFirst

Ford Thunderbird Forum

Leaking Transmission Fluid C-6, Cribbing blocks?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rosmitley Avatar
rosmitley Ralph Smitley Jr.
Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA   USA
1974 MG Midget MkIII
1979 Ford Thunderbird "Wedding Cake"
Please let me introduce myself. My name is Ralph and I am new to this forum. As you can see I am the owner of a 1979 Ford T-Bird, and a 1974 MG Midget. I have never taken my cars to the dealership or garage for repair. I have always done the job myself. But this job on the T-Bird transmission got me a little scared. It's not the technical aspect, but the safety aspect. I am afraid of being crushed.

I want to remove the transmission on this car myself. I am thinking about using cribbing blocks. Has anyone out there ever raised a T-Bird of this weight using cribbing blocks? I am unsure if it would be safe since the car would be about 3 feet off the ground. Does anyone know how high I would need to raise the car to get the transmission out? Would it be safer to place the cribbing blocks under the frame of the car? If I place the cribbing blocks under the wheels with anti-roll blocking support, would that be safe? My cribbing blocks would be made of wood not concrete blocks. What would be a good dimension for the cribbing blocks? Jack stands sound like the obvious solution but I can't find any that are tall enough. Should I even attempt this job, or is it just too dangerous?

I think the car is leaking fluid because of a bad input shaft seal. It's a nice car valued around $2100 dollars, but if I have the car repaired professionally, the cost of the repair might exceed the value of the car.

Please any advice will be appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-25 03:07 PM by rosmitley.

Attachments:
IMG_6551.JPG    51.6 KB
IMG_6551.JPG

block3.jpg    26.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Ford Thunderbird

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links